you are here::  >> HOME 

McNair Barracks

BERLIN BRIGADE - McNAIR BARRACKS



 

BERLIN BRIGADE

BERLIN BRIGADE

After the end of World War II the Allied forces occupied West Berlin. This occupation lasted throughout the Cold War. The Berlin-Brigade was a term used to describe the brigade-sized garrison forces based there by the British and American armies; the French army also maintained a garrison, but did not use the name. The U.S. Berlinbrigade was an United States Army unit; its shoulder sleeve insignia was the U.S. Army Europe patch with Berlin tab. During the Berlin Wall Crisis of 1961, the army reorganized

the command structure of the forces in Berlin and created the U.S. Army Berlin and created the Berlin-Brigade from the units already in the city.

After the reunification of Germany, the Berlin-Brigade was no longer necessary and it was deactivated in 1994. The Berlin-Brigade was the first combat unit selected to deploy to the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia in 1993 as Task Force Able Sentry.

 

The brigade consisted of:

  • 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Battalions of the 6th Infantry Regiment (reflagged to 4th, 5th and 6th Battalions of the 502nd Infantry Regiment)
  • Battery C 94th Field Artillery
  • Echo Battery 320th Field Artillery
  • Company F of the 40th Armor
  • 42nd Engineer Company
  • 42nd Military Police Company (Customs)
  • 287th Military Police Company (Separate)
  • 43rd and 76th Chemical Detachments
  • 279th Station Hospital (became US Army Hospital Berlin in 1976)
  • 168th Medical Detachment (Veterinary Service)
  • 298th Army Band

 

MCNAIR BARRACKS

McNair-Barracks occupies the site of the former AEG Telefunken electronics factory, a Nazi-era complex. During the war, research took place on some of the "miracle" weapons that Hitler hoped would turn the tide of the war. One of

the most important products to be developed and produced in the factory was a radar-guided flak control system which could ascertain range and select individual targets.

 

The Barracks were named after Lieutenant General Leslie J. McNair. After America´s entry into World War II, McNair was put in charge of

mobilizing and training U.S. Army ground forces. He was killed while observing front line operations in France in July 1944.

 

COMBAT SUPPORT BATALLION

For many years McNair-Barracks has been home to the combat battalions of the Berlin-Brigade, the 5th and 6th Battalions of the 502nd Infantry, the 6th Battalion of the 40th Armor and others. The 168th and 298th share the

distinction of being the longest serving units in Berlin. They both arrived to the city in a 37-vehicle convoy on July 3, 1945. The commanders of both units were old high school classmates.

 

MCNAIR BARRACKS MCNAIR BARRACKS MCNAIR BARRACKS

 

Telefunken McNair-Barracks occupies the site of the former AEG Telefunken electronics factory, a Nazi-era ...
>>> more

502nd Infantry The 502nd Infantry was activated in the midst of the Second World War, on 2 March 1942...
>>> more

Parades on 4. Ring The most parades took place on the wide street between McNair Narracks and the german ...
>>> more

Photos of the past Here are some photos of the past, when the troops of the Berlin-Brigade were housed...
>>> more

Photos present This is how McNair Barracks look like now. I took these photos in the last few years...
>>> more

McNair Museum On the compound of McNair Barracks there is the private McNair Museum...
>>> more

4th of July celebrations Every year since 1995 there is a 4th of July celebration held at McNair Barracks Museum.
>>> more

BUSMVA friends In August 2006 the Berlin veterans (BUSMVA) had their reunion...
>>> more

Videos VIDEOS: McNair Barracks, 40th Armor Inactivation ceremony, Slideshow 4th of July parade 1993 and 1994
>>> more

 

 

TODAY: 21 - TOTAL: 140.